Tuesday, July 23, 2013

10 Scary Things

Check out this article on Scary things that can actually be safe for your baby.

http://www.mom365.com/slideshows/062513-scary-things-that-are-safe-for-baby?utm_source=edit+email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Edit+emailscary+6/27#sa51c9acd8b15977c13e000001=p10

I did alot of research on "risky play" and the effects on personality and development when I was in college.  I was actually a big supporter of the idea.  Now that I have kids, I am still a fan, but I am alot more fearful.

Several years ago I worked in a children's hospital where we did supervised syringe play to help kids cope with being out of control and hopefully conquer their fear with what little control they could have.  Allowing the syringe to be something that they could carefully touch and manipulate instead of simply a source of pain, provided a safe outlet for emotions.  Participating in "risky play" forces kids to learn at different levels that may not be possible if they are constantly shielded from unsafe experiences.

These are just my thoughts today.  I am sure I would have completely different emotions if I saw RL walking on a tree limb tight rope style.

This is not really me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment