Thursday, September 26, 2013

Salsa Chicken

Last week I saw a blog about salsa chicken with pasta shells (mix match mama). This looked pretty good plus I had enough ingredients in my random kitchen to make it work.

Here is what I did:

Placed 3 frozen chicken in the crock pot (I did this Sunday morning before heading to church). Add about 3/4 cup water or stock. Cook on low for about 4 to 5 hrs.

Once the chicken is done, shred with 2 forks ( i also season with pepper)

Boil the pasta. I didn't have any shells, so I used penne.

In a large boil, I mixed:

Shredded chicken
1 pack of taco seasoning
3 tbs of cumin
1 can or steam bag of corn
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 jar of salsa
1 small chopped onion
2 cups of shredded cheese

Basically, I just mixed a bunch of random ingredients together that followed the mexican theme.

Move the ingredients to a casserole dish and top with more cheese.  Cook on 350 for about 20 minutes.  Remove from oven add french fried onions on top, then cook for a about 5 more minutes.  Yes, you heard me right.....those crunchy things you put on green bean casseroles.  I thought it was strange too when I read the recipe, but it was a pretty neat twist!

That's it!! This lasted us for 3 days!  It could easily be doubled for a freezer meal!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment