Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pageant Day, The Full Story

Yes, thats right, I entered my two year old in a pageant.  Before you get all judgy judgyson on me, lets talk about it.  I was in a few pageants growing up and I loved it.  I don't remember feeling like it was really about who is pretty or not, but more of just an avenue of competition.  I enjoyed competing, I enjoyed learning from other girls, I enjoyed challenging myself to feel comfortable standing pefectly still in the middle of a stage with everyone staring, it was fun to me.  I lost more than I won and I still loved it. 

So how could I not try it out with RL? If you truly know me this does not surprise you.  Sure there are some cons to pageants (as there are with anything), but I also believe that there many learning opportunities. 

Now, let us get one thing straight.  I am ONLY interested in pageants that the girls can wear Sunday dresses.  I prefer Sunday dress only pageants, but they are sometimes hard to find.  I do not plan on buying RL a $300 pageant dress for competitions.  I ONLY enter pageants that makeup is NOT allowed nor spray tans, fake teeth, and all of that other craziness that you see on Toddlers and Tiaras.  I like natural pageants vs glitz.

The day started at 5:30 AM.  Yikes.  She was screaming that she wanted to "get out of my bed". Already, I am nervous. I had planned on her sleeping just a tad bit later. :(
I am not sure what got in to her, but she was actually in a great mood.  I asked her where she was going today and she excitedly said "the pageant!!"

Driving to our destination was a little strange.  I had to stop and check my GPS to make sure I had entered the correct address.  This place was most certainly off the beaten path.  Instantly upon arrival both my dad and husband questioned how in the world I found out about this pageant!!!  It was country living at it's finest with random dogs greeting each guest as they stepped out of the car.

We made it to the venue and got ready happily and had a great time!! I loved spending this one on one special time with her.  We practiced on the stage and she loved it!!

Competition time.  Okay, this is the part that I will admit......  we were the only one in our category.    So, the pressure is off.  She did GREAT on stage.  Waved, smiled, had lots of fun.  She repeatedly said "my turn on stage". 

The other girls competed.  I thought about what I liked and didnt like about the pageant system.  Likes include the confidence, poise, comfort level with strangers that it encourages.  Dislikes include perfectly performed "routines" with props while the child stares at the mom demonstrating each step. One may think that I would jump at the chance to perform a little dance "for my daughter" as the audience oohs and ahhs over how great of a dancer I am in  my "late twenties".  They would probably want to know if I could teach them a few moves. The judges may turn around and watch me instead.  Okay, sorry, let me jump back to reality.  In real life, I want the kids to show their own personality, smile natural, make eye contact, be who they are.

I know putting a child in a pageant is a contreversial subject with lots of opinions floating around covered in judgement.  I know some of you may think of me differently once you have read this post.  For us, we will try it out here and there as long as it is fun for everyone.  I really feel that there is alot to learn.

Now....doesn't she just look adorable???



And here we are playing with our crowns. She "wanted" me to have the big one of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment