Wednesday, February 1, 2012

GARLIC SHRIMP



Yum! Yum! Yum! This is one of my absolutely favorite meals. My dad use to make it for me growing up and I couldnt get enough. I have been making it for over 15 years, so I am going to do my best with explanations. It is super and easy and super fast to make in under 30 minutes on a week night.


What you will need:

Shrimp (I use frozen)

Garlic Powder and/or minced garlic

Green onions

Rice

Seasons of choice

Veg of choice


I start by defrosting my shrimp under cold water. I have always used the frozen shrimp from Wal-Mart, but this time I purchased a bag from Sams. Sooooooooo much better. It was a definate signifacant improvement in the "freshness" taste of the shrimp.





As the shrimp is defrosting - boil the rice. I am a devoted fan to rice in a bag. I have absolutely no idea how to cook rice in other way.


Once the shrimp is defrosted, place in a skillet with a handful of green onions, a couple of tablespoons of minced garlic (if using), a couple of tablespoons of butter (I cant believe its not butter is the bomb.com), 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, seasons of choice (I use Natures Own and Pepper).

Cook on on medium for about 3 or 4 minutes. Okay.....this is where it gets kind of tricky. Once the butter is melted, you will want to drain out the liquid (if you used frozen). It gets kinda of thin and watering and is hard to flavor without this step. I simply hold the shrimp with my spatula and tip it over the sink.



Saute for another couple of minutes until the shrimp gets a brighter pink (remember that we are using cooked shrimp...so you dont want to overcook).
Next you want to add ALOT of butter and ALOT of garlic powder. This will be our sauce (which is the best part). I would estimate a 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup garlic powder. Re-season with your seasons of choice. Taste and then make adjustments.

Another couple of minutes to let the sauce coat the shrimp. Once you are happy with the taste, simply serve over rice. Make sure to get plenty of sauce over the rice....its the best part!

RESULTS:


1) RL demanded to be fed at 5:30 and I just cant work miracles (today anyway), so she got a banana and mac and cheese

2) D scored it a 8.5. The rice was overcooked and I forgot to season my veggies. MY BAD....I think I have created a monster

3)I agree with D......and I looooooooooove the shrimp.




































No comments:

Post a Comment