Friday, December 13, 2013

Preparing for Christmas

There are soooooo many opinions on how a family "should" do Christmas.  Santa - No Santa, Advent - What is Advent?, Gifts - No Gifts.  Elves -  Jesus Style Elves - Funny Elves and so on and so on. The opinions are endless and strong and insistent by some.

There is so much pressure that some how indicates that the way we "do" Christmas equals our worth as a parent (oh-mi-goodness you "lie" to your kids) our religious views (Santa sucks Christ out of Christmas), and basically our ability to do things the "right" way (as defined by whoever is spitting out their lectures).
In my opinion, social media is the center of all this judgement.

  Before facebook, we just carried on the traditions of our families and maybe threw in a couple of more that made us feel good.  I love doing the same things I did growing up, because it makes me feel young and excited.  When I hear the very first song on the Oak Ridge boys CDS, I immediately can feel the excitement that I did on Christmas day running to see what Santa had brought (although I already knew because I always peeked in the middle of the night).  What is wrong with this????

You hop on facebook to do a quick scroll through to see some cute kids and  people bark about Santa, judge about "lying", think that the magic of Santa is teaching witchcraft (seriously I read this), blah blah blah.

I'll make a confession.  I did fall into the pit of judgement and decided to try out advent.  I have never done this or even heard of it honestly, but it seemed according to facebook that this is the ONLY way you can keep CHRIST in Christmas.

We have done 3 readings and 3 activities based on a book called "The Truth in the Tinsel" (Bible readings and ornaments to match the theme) .  This is what I have learned.

    1)  I like lesson plans
    2)  I like designated talking points
    3)  The activities take about 10 minutes
    4)  I can stick to it a few nights a week, but not every night
    5)  I still don't understand Advent - the candles are too much
    6)  More creative moms can teach about Jesus without Advent/thebook
    7)  I have to write it down to remember
    8)  There is no way I can make this a family event with 2 working parents and a 10 month old
    9)  Christmas is fun either way
   10) RL typically just want the 5 min short version so she can watch a Christmas movie (she can't help it,     she is totally my child)

**I really like book.  It is good for ME**

So here is my stance, do Christmas the way that makes you feel good as a family.  Don't do Christmas the way that others think you should.  Most certainly, keep CHRIST in the center of your holiday, but Santa can be there too if that is what you choose.  There is alot of magic in our household and I am not a witch, but I do encourage make believe.  Its good for the soul.

I'll leave you with some cute ornaments that we made for our tree

Jesus is the light of the world



Jesus is the King




No comments:

Post a Comment