Friday, March 9, 2012

CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE

I have two new challenges I have welcomed into my overstocked life.

1) One pinterest project a week (this includes recipes)

2) At least one directive play activity with RL a day.  I use the term directive play and activity very lightly.  Basically I want to hold myself accountable to take advantage of teachable moments and present her with a variety of learning experiences.  As a working mom, it is so so very easy to rush through all of the life essentials that must take place between 5:30 and 7:00 pm.  However, it IS possible to find time to do something fun and different every single day.  Some may say (Meredith) that I am setting my goals to high.  I say....go big or go home!

It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that simply has a teachable goal in mind.  Day 1 = coloring!  We did more of eating crayons than actually coloring with them, but we made a few beautiful and creative lines on a sheet.  Teachable moment = crayons are not for eating.  Wow...I feel like a better mom already!!

On to the food....from pinterest.  Weekly challenge = check!

Here is the recipe:

http://cleverlyinspired.blogspot.com/2011/02/angel-chickenslow-cooker.html

I followed the recipe with these ingredients + mushrooms and chicken:
I surprisingly had all but the cream cheese already stocked in my pantry!!  There are pros and cons to making this recipe on a work night. I had to make the sauce in the morning to get it ready for the crockpot.  I don't mind this at all and it took about 10 minutes. I am totally willing to give up 10 minutes of morning time when RL is asleep and have dinner ready for me when I get home!! However, if you have a packed morning it may be a little more difficult. 
I used one package of mushrooms and frozen chicken.  Set on low for 10 hours.

Once I got home, all I needed to do is make some rice and green beans!!  I shredded the chicken a bit over the rice.
Results:

1) D added some hot sauce and gave it a 7.  He liked the idea, but it was lacking flavor.

2) RL was not interested.

3)  It was definately lacking flavor.  I regretfully added nothing to the recipe and simply shredded and served.  I will make it again, but add seasoning and another package of mushrooms.  If you like mushrooms, it needs two packs.

Night two of chicken with mushroom sauce

I LOVE leftover night!  I need to do a better job of making sure to have more of these nights.  It's like having a night off and still getting paid!!

I cannot stand to have the exact same thing repeated (I'm like that with mine and RL's clothes as well), so I needed to make the meal look a little different.

I made some Pasta Roni Parm Cheese pasta.  This pasta is very good and I believe it is only around $1 at Walmart.

I combined the chicken, green beans, and leftover sausage from the breakfast burritos into one dish.  Added grated parm cheese and french fried onions.  Seasoned with Natures Own and pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce.  Warmed in the oven for about 10 munites.



Results:

1) D gave it close to a 9!! Isn't it amazing how much the right amount of seasoning and toppings can completely change a meal?!?

2) RL could not get enough in her mouth quick enough!!

3) Total change from the night before...loved it!

RL helped me cook in her new Learning Tower!!


So far she is really enjoying it and it is soooo much easier for me to cook without her on my hip or hanging from my leg.  Warning: All real ingredients need to be out of reach.  Because of this mistake, I have learned that my child LOVES to eat butter....from the tub.


No comments:

Post a Comment