Monday, March 2, 2015

I can't take this thing called parenting!!!

When I think about my future as I parent, the thing I am most afraid of is bullies and mean girls.  I don't know if I can survive hurt feelings, hateful words, being on the outside, not being invited, ect. ect.  I have a major fear of rejection in life........its a weakness.



I don't remember a significant time in my life that created this fear.  I know as a child when me or my sister asked for permission to do something I always asked the responder to follow the rules of "no means yes and yes means no".  That way, if the answer is "no" than I don't actually have to hear the word.  It's pure craziness.



So now I am terrified of rejection for my children. Here are a couple of conversations I have had recently with my 4 year old.



RL:  Mommy we call Kid 1 "blah blah blah" (i couldn't understand what she said but it didn't sound nice).



Me:  Why did you call him that?



RL:  Because Kid 2 and Kid 3 told me to



Me:  We don't have to do what everyone tells us to do



RL:  But I want them to be my best friend (insert sad, confused, pitiful face)



Ughhh........I can't take it!! FOUR.YEARS.OLD!



Next convo:



Me:  RL, I don't like it when you tell people they are not your best friend anymore.  It is mean and it makes people sad



RL:  But if someone does something bad then they can't be my best friend



Me:  We don't need to say things that make people sad



RL:  Well.........then I don't know what to do, mommy.



She is now staring at me and assumes that I will give her everything she needs to face her pre-k classroom.  I can't.  It it breaks me!!!



My only response in this teary eyed moment........let's just pray about it and ask Jesus.










No comments:

Post a Comment