Sunday, January 29, 2012




1/29/12 - STEW


A had two bags of potatoes that I picked up in a buy one get one for a penny sale at brookshires that I needed to get a move on using. I also recently picked up some pork stew meat that was sportin a bright yellow tag. Apparently, Wal-Mart has been labeling thier “about to go out of date” meat with definitely noticeable yellow stickers. I am typically not a fan of Wal-Mart meat, but I am always looking for a good deal and this was definitely a good deal!
I decided to make a pork stew based on this recipe.




I used meat, pots, carrots, and celery, 1 pkg. of chicken gravy mix, ½ can beef broth, and a full can of chicken broth.


I browned the meat first although some reviews said that they just put all in the crock pot. Raw pork mixed with my fresh veggies freaks me out a bit. I seasoned the meat with Natures Own, Lemon and Pepper and Worch.



I cut up all the vegs in random sizes and saved a good bit for a dinner a little later in the week. RL usually loves carrots so hopefully she will this week. Potatoes have always been a no go with her so we are on own there.



Once everything is in the crockpot.....I seasoned with more Natures Own, that Marjoran stuff that the recipe called for and some chopped up bay leaves. I only used the bay leaves and the M word because they were included in a spice rack I was given as a gift. I used them and felt very sophisticated, however, I do not believe they had any affect on the final product.




I left it all untouched in the crock pot for 8 hours on low.


Results:


**Served with crackers, ketchup and cheese because we like those things**

1) RL ate nothing. I am not sure what her deal is.....hopefully I have not forever damanged her by using the term piglet.


2) D loved it and rated it a 8. It was a good solid meal and he made no suggestions.


3) I thought it was pretty good and I appreciated the tenderness of the pork stew meat. I am not sure if that is because it was pork or the result of the crock pot. This could easily be assembled in the morning if the veggies were already chopped and you have about 10 minutes to brown the pork. Or you could do it all the night before and just throw it in in the morning. I will definately make this again if I hit a sale and maybe include some rice next time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment